Fantasy Adventure Book Series
I love it when friends ask me for book recommendations for their kids! My latest request comes from a local friend whose children are ages 8, 10, and 12.
When I asked her what their interests were she said, “They’ve all recently read the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson series. They’re into reading a lot of the same stuff right now. Fantasy-type stuff with kids as main characters.”
Here are some fun recommendations (in no particular order) for fantasy adventure series for the middle school age range (ages 8-12). I have not read every one of these books but I’ve read at least the first book in each series.
As usual, the links will take you to Amazon and I might earn a small commission if you end up ordering. I’ve indicated which titles are available as part of the FreeTime Unlimited or Kindle Unlimited subscriptions.
The Mysterious Benedict Society series
By Trenton Lee Stewart
- The Mysterious Benedict Society
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages
Mr. Lemoncello’s Library series
By Chris Grabenstein
- Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library
- Mr. Lemoncello’s Library Olympics
- Mr. Lemoncello’s Great Library Race
- Mr. Lemoncello’s All-Star Breakout Game
The Chronicles of Narnia
By C. S. Lewis
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (available on FreeTime Unlimited)
- Prince Caspian
- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
- The Silver Chair
- The Horse and His Boy
- The Magician’s Nephew
- The Last Battle
100 Cupboards series
By N. D. Wilson
- 100 Cupboards (available on FreeTime Unlimited)
- Dandelion Fire
- The Chestnut King
- The Door Before
The Wolves Chronicles
By Joan Aiken
- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (available on FreeTime Unlimited)
- Black Hearts in Battersea
- Nightbirds on Nantucket
- The Stolen Lake
- Dangerous Games (available on Kindle Unlimited)
By Patrick Carmen
By Madeleine L’Engle
The Green Ember series
By S. D. Smith
- The Green Ember (available on Kindle Unlimited)
- Ember Falls (available on Kindle Unlimited)
- Ember Rising (available on Kindle Unlimited)
The Wingfeather Saga
By Andrew Peterson
- On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness
- North! or Be Eaten
- The Monster in the Hollows
- The Warden and the Wolf King
By Brian Jacques
What series or stand-alone books can you add to this list? I’d love to check them out!
Linking up with Timberdoodle’s “Favorite Book Lists” Blog Hop:
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
I see a few of our favorites here, but also some we haven’t read. Since it looks like we have similar tastes, I’m jotting down a list! Thanks so much!
I will have to look for some of these…my kids keep exploring the elementary age-middle school age section of the library. I don’t mind finding new books for them other than picture books and short chapter books but I don’t want to pick up just anything for us to read together.
We have read a few of these, and they were great! I will have to add the others to our list. Thank you for the ideas
I think I need to read the Green Ember. That book pops up everywhere!